Let’s know the secret to fresh-smelling towels.
Schedule on Washing Your Towels
Before discussing the right way to wash your towels, you should know how often you should wash them especially since they are bathroom essentials. Some switch their towels after every use, while others wash them after weeks without a soak. The schedule on when to wash your towels has been debated.
The frequency depends on some circumstances, but hand towels have to be replaced every 2 days. Meanwhile, body towels can be used for weeks only if they have been left to dry properly. But, if your towels are not dried properly, you have to replace and wash them to prevent the spread of bacteria and cause other health problems.
How to Wash Towels Properly
Towels get soaked every use. You have to air dry them to ensure no bacteria can grow within your fabrics. It is common for towels to have yeast or mold because of the moisture. Not to mention, our body produces sweat and sebum, and these body soils result in bacteria buildup.
- Separate towels. Just like clothes, you have to separate the white and colored ones. Washing them together results in subtle discoloration.
- Read wash labels on towels. Before you send your towels to laundry pickup and delivery, read their care label. There might be special instructions that you have to note for the cleaners.
- Soften towels. Laundry services sometimes use fabric softeners. This is only healthy for towels on every fourth wash to prevent buildups. However, if you want to protect the fabrics of your towel, you can use a natural alternative (white vinegar).
- Deal with foul odors. It is normal for towels to have musty odors because it is usually soaked. If you are dealing with foul odors use baking soda and white vinegar to remove them. Rewash the towels after.
- Dry towels. You have to ensure that the towels are completely dry. Although it is best to line dry them under sunlight, you can also place them into the dryer with wool balls to help maintain their fluffiness. If you brought your towel to the laundry service, add more minutes to drying. It takes longer for towels to dry than regular clothes, and a hint of moisture can cause odor.
Wash your towels properly. Rubbing yourself with a dirty towel may cause acne breakouts or health conditions. If you have lost count of the times you have used your towel, smell it. Its musty odor indicates there is a mold and mildew on your towel. This is invisible to your eyes, yet not to our noses. Towels may only look clean, but it needs some washing.
Towels have different fabrics than regular garments making this feature the number one consideration when washing towels. Now that you know how to wash your towel properly, you also have to know that being mindful of your body care routine helps you wash and treat your towel the right way. Do not go overboard with your body care products; they might discolor or stain your towels.